Be a courteous swimmer
The Sports Centre is a place of excellence, and as such we want to be a world reference when it comes to the Swimmer’s Code of Conduct in our pools. Please be respectful of other swimmers who share lap lanes with you by following these rules. Enjoy your workout!
10 rules to ensure everyone enjoys swimming laps
- You must swim on the right-hand side at all times.
- Turns must be made counter-clockwise.
- When indicated, swim in the lane that best reflects your speed. For a distance of 400 metres (16 lengths), lanes break down as follows:
- Fast (less than 8 minutes)
- Medium (between 9 and 12 minutes)
- Slow (over 12 minutes)
- If no signage has been posted, choose the lane where swimmers best reflect your own speed.
- If you need to stop at the end of a lap, be sure to move to the side near the ropes. Do not stay in the middle, as other swimmers need the space to turn.
- If you need to pass another swimmer, do so on the left-hand side and ensure there are no swimmers coming towards you.
- If someone passes you, keep your speed and swim close to the rope. If you’re near the wall, stop and allow the other swimmer to overtake you.
- If there are a lot of swimmers doing laps, please refrain from using strokes that take up a lot of room, such as the butterfly.
- If you’re working on leg kicks, please use the slowest lane.
- Enter the water carefully and always be aware of other swimmers.